© East Glenville Fire Company 2009

EAST GLENVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT 

Click to view pictures from the scene 

 

Firefighters rescue pets 

Scotia-Glenville Spotlight, January 2006 
by Marty Bannan• Send email to: bannanm@spotlightnews.com 

 

An East Glenville couple has much to be thankful for. Because of a quick response by the East Glenville Fire Department, Peter and Mary Miranda still a have a home to live in, as well as their 4-year-old German shepard, Dante, and 10-year-old yellow tabby, Jinx. 

On Jan. 19, Mary Miranda arrived home from work at about 6:30 p.m. to find smoke coming from the first floor and basement of their ranch home at 22 Woodruff Road. The first floor was filled with smoke and inside were Dante and Jinx, she said. Miranda estimated that Dante endured the smoke for at least 40 minutes before firefighters were able to rescue the dog. 

According to Fire Chief Arnold Briscoe, firefighters immediately found Jinx behind the front door unconscious, but had to put the fire out before they could enter the building to search for the dog. 

“The Mirandas were quite worried about their pets and wanted to go inside to find them, but it was too dangerous for us to permit that,” Briscoe said. 

The firefighters entered the basement and located the blaze, quickly knocking it out. Afterward, they searched the home and found Dante on a bed groaning. 

The firefighter wrapped Dante in a quilt and carried him to safety. 

According to Briscoe, nether animal was conscious or breathing well when fire-fighters got them outside. 

“They were in tough shape, but we resuscitated them by administering 100 percent direct oxygen and by massaging their torsos,” Briscoe said. “We get lucky some times, especially with cats. They seem to bounce back quick, just like children.” 

The animals were then rushed by police car to a veterinarian clinic in Burnt Hills. 

The Mirandas credit the fire department’s quick arrival for their pets’ survival and for sustaining only minimum smoke and water damage, thus allowing them all to move back into the undamaged section of the house on Tuesday. 

“The fire department’s response time was fantastic. They arrived in only a couple of minutes,” Peter Miranda said. “We want to thank both the fire department, the Glenville Police and several of our neighbors for all of their help and support. We are so happy to be back home with our pets.” 

Briscoe said he believes the fire started by accident as a result of spontaneous combustion of flammable materials inside. He added that a report on the results of the county’s final investigation is expected. 

In other news, firefighters from Thomas Corner Fire Department put out a small blaze at the Heritage Arms retirement community on Jan 22. 

The fire, which took place at about 12:30 p.m., allegedly started after a cigarette was thrown in to a planter containing a plastic shrub. The planter caught fire, releasing smoke, but firefighters quickly arrived and put out the fire before it caused any damage. Residents of the facility were in no danger at any time, police said. The fire is still under investigation.