[Officers] FW: Winter Weather Outlook

Arnold Briscoe abriscoe at eastglenvillefd.com
Sun Oct 26 10:12:33 EDT 2008

From: John A. Nuzback [mailto:john.nuzback at schenectadycounty.com]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 9:01 AM
To: Joe O. Ryan; Jason Cuthbert; Kathleen A. Rooney; Jim Kalohn; Andy Pohl - OFPC; Chief Acors; wjcblessing at empireone.net; alplauschief at msn.com; Chief Duffy; blazechiefsfd at aol.com; Mike France ; Mike France ; Chief Galka; Chief Griffin ; info at nfd2.com; Chief Iveson ; Chief Kasko ; Charlie Keller; konik at schonowe.com; klab767402 at aol.com; achief148 at aol.com; Chief Lingenfelter; jemcph54 at aol.com; Chief Monlea; greggp88 at nycap.rr.com; Chief Pierce ; Chief Scott Pike; firefighter232 at aol.com; Chief Taylor ; Chief Tobiassen; Chief Trojan ; ewierzbo at nycap.rr.com; jim.yauchler at juno.com
Cc: A/C Dennis Rudolphsen; A/C Jack Ellis ; A/C Kevin Morrison; A/C Mike DellaRocco; D/C Kurt Gerfin ; mgille287 at yahoo.com; D/C Mark Fragomeni; sfdems at nycap.rr.com; Dan Gilmore; dcote at remsinc.org; rbrandt at mohawkambulance.com; CACCIOLFIF at aol.com; Mike Denny; Ted Congdon; Arnold Briscoe; Bob Farstad; Bonnie Belfance; Bruce Iovinelli; Carol Squires; Don Miller; Frank Day - Work; Greg Bellamy; Hal Wittner; Jay Ladouceur; JD Yattaw; Jim Nevins; Jim Stairs; Jim Weakley; John Walcesky; Josh Gioeli; Josh Walter; Ken Posson; Kevin Thomas; Kristen Cecala; Kyle Rudolphsen; Ralph Pannitto; Rich Kasko; Ron Paul; Tom Koskey; bigmac at nycap.rr.com; jawsub at aol.com; jzido at nycap.rr.com
Subject: Winter Weather Outlook

Kyle Rudolphsen and I attended a meeting yesterday (10/24) at the National Weather Service (NWS) in Albany.  There were many items discussed including the outlook on this year’s winter weather.  Listed below is a quick summary of what the NWS is thinking right now, but as you all know this is the great Northeast.

Winter Weather Outlook –

> Temperatures are expected to be average to below average (25 degree range)

> Precipitation is expected to be average to below average with mostly snow events versus freezing rain and/or sleet (44.6” total)

> There is a good potential for Ice jams in early 2009.  In early January, EMO will schedule a local seminar for responders and local officials with NWS personnel to review this issue.

>The weather service is also going to schedule conference calls if the expected temperature is going to be 10◦ F or lower for more than three consecutive days.  The purpose will be to give Emergency Managers and local officials a “heads-up” to consider opening warming shelters.

Fire Chiefs/EMS Personnel –

There was also a word of warning from SEMO officials relative to people using alternative heating methods such as wood or kerosene heaters due to the cost of oil, especially if people have not used fireplaces/stoves in a while to heat with wood.  Chimney fires in particular were talked about.

The concern associated with kerosene heaters is carbon monoxide build-up and the lack of CO detectors in homes.

Another concern mentioned was the use of other forms of heating such as multiple space heaters or people using stoves to heat dwellings.

John Nuzback